Just finished Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper, and man oh' man. This is definitely a book I would recommend for my students. The main character, Melody, is funny, relatable, strong, and resilient. Not only can this book be used to teach themes such as self- identity, adversity, bully, resilience, and growth mindset, but this book is also just a really fun read. Along with theme, voice, tone, figurative language, diction, and character study can be taught using this book. [Teachers: there is a list of discussusion questions and activities in the back of the books ;)]
It is quite easy to overlook and judge people who live with disabilities, but it is also extremely easy to ignore the hard life of their parents and caretakers. Not only have I learned about the inner struggles that people with disabilities face, but I also learned to empathize and admire the parents who face these challenges head on and advocate for their kids. Melody's mother, father, Catherine, and Mrs. V all support and advocate for Melody with such fervor that I see everyday with the students in my classroom. I've met determined parents who will not have their child be underestimated, teachers and support staff who give their all to make sure their students are given opportunity. I see people who give everything, and put in so much effort without asking for anything in return. Bravo to them all. Most of all, bravo to the children who become adults that learn to live with their disability. They have to overcome the stereotype, bullying, and underestimation of many unkind and ignorant individuals. Out of my Mind is a very respectable book that opens doors to real life discussions on topics that may be uncomfortable to bring up, but is necessary for children and adults to learn about.

Comments
Post a Comment